Columbia University Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, A member of the Ivy League, Columbia University is an elitist private research university located in Manhattan, New York City. The university offers creative and innovative postdoctoral candidates opportunities to delve deeper into critical scientific and social issues. One of such opportunities is the Columbia University Postdoctoral Research Fellowship. Below are all the details you need to know about the fellowship program:
An Overview of the Columbia University Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
This program aims to provide the participating scholars with an opportunity to build a background in one of the major fields represented at the Earth Institute of Columbia University. These fields include engineering, Earth, biological, social, and health sciences. The fellowship also offers an opportunity for interdisciplinary networking meant to help these scholars appreciate these issues at deeper levels.
This program is sponsored and hosted by Columbia University. Applicants are welcomed from all over the world – both American and non-American candidates. Each Fellow gets an annual salary of 71,640 USD as well as a stipend of 12,000 USD. The numbers of awards has not been specified by the sponsors.
The Eligibility Criteria for the Columbia University Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
Every applicant is expected to have met the following requirements:
- Applicants are welcomed from all nationalities and groups all over the world. Women and minorities are especially encouraged to apply.
- The applicants must have earned their doctoral degrees (Ph.D., M.D, or J.D) in the last five years, leading to their expected appointment time.
- All the requirements for the award of a doctoral degree must have been fulfilled and awarded before the fellowship program starts.
- People who are occupying positions with ranks higher than postdoctoral scientists are not eligible to apply. If such people must apply, they should first contact the program office to determine their eligibility.
As earlier said, the fellows get an annual salary of $71,640. In addition to this, they get a stipend of 12,000 dollars meant to cater to reimbursable expenses related to the fellowship program.
These amounts are meant to be spent on things related to the program. However, each Fellow has full discretion on how to spend the amounts.
Application Procedures for the Columbia University Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Program
Every applicant for the program is expected to submit the following documents alongside the online application form.
- A brief personal history of the applicant.
- A curriculum vitae of the applicant
- Three letters of recommendation
- A research proposal
In the research proposal, applicants are expected to suggest existing interdisciplinary projects at the Earth Institute of Columbia University. Their suggestions may relate to their participation in or contribution/extension to those projects.
Also, apart from submitting the above-stated documents, applicants are expected to identify and contact their desired interdisciplinary mentoring team members. These should be research candidates, scholars, or senior faculty members at Columbia University that the applicants would like to work with during the fellowship program.
The general details of the Columbia University Postdoctoral Research Fellowship have been given above. But, for particulars like dates, deadlines, and more, you can look up the official program webpage here.